Tuesday, April 8, 2008

This Week In Tonight In American Idol [8 April 2008]

8:00 PM: A quick reminder -- this is Idol Gives Back week. The telethon returns tomorrow, airing from 7:30-10:00 PM EST. No "Psych! We're not eliminating anyone this week!" shenanigans this year -- we'll have a proper results show on Thursday.

Tonite's "Top 8 Nite" theme is "Inspirational Songs".

And I'm already dreading this.

8:03 PM: First up is Michael Johns, and his inspirational song of choice is..."Dream On", by Aerosmith?

Srsly???

This is very "karaoke" to me, honestly.

Altho Michael does nail the Steve Tyler "falsetto" parts.

Randy: important week, we find out who you are...pretty good song choice for you, but some pitch problems...I still don't believe that's who you are...I don't buy that you're an Aerosmith-type singer...it was just a'ight for me...

[the audience disagrees...Michael talks back -- why are the Idols doing that this season???]

Randy [channeling his inner-Simon (eww -- Ed.)]: this is a singing competition...it's not about dreams, it's about singing...
Paula: I couldn't disagree more...perfect song for you...you sound as good as you look...I thought my chihuahuas were going to join you onstage...
Simon: very good performance...but I don't like when you do an impersonation of a rockstar...I prefer it with the blues R&B thing in your voice...a little bit "wanna-be"-ish...

Randy and Simon are largely in agreement against Paula, which almost never happens...which means Michael is already vulnerable...

Ryan makes a gay joke about Paula's "chihuahuas"...ha ha...

8:12 PM: Up next is Syesha Mercado. Syesha is taking on "I Believe" by Fantasia.

I've been on the Syesha bandwagon for a while, and I think this is fantastic.

I think the backing singers are overwhelming her a bit, but WOW does Syesha have a powerful voice...

Randy: took on another tiger this week...Fantasia has that special connection with her songs that you were lacking...it was just okay for me...

And Syesha is also talking back...WOW, Randy is on fire this week...

Paula: not many people can take on Fantasia and her songs...I think you flipped it and made it your own...hands down, one of your strongest nites...
Simon: technically, you sang it very well...what it lacked for me was that big wave of emotion...last week you did Whitney, this week Fantasia -- I want to find out who you are...

8:18 PM: Next up is Jason Castro. Jason is taking on "Somewhere Over The Rainbow". But he's taking on the ukelele-dominated arrangement of Hawaiian Bruddah Iz.

Prediction: "Bruddah Iz ukelele" -- or some variation thereof -- will top tomorrow's "Google Trends" charts.

This is passable and interesting but mostly "forgettable" for me, to use Idol's terms.

Randy: Jason Castro is back in the hunt! That was the hottest of the nite right there! That was blazing, molten hot!

Dude, what were you listening to???

Paula: You have the most definitive sound...perfect song...I love that version...you did a great job...

Paula Abdul Out-Of-It Scale: 8/10. At least!

Simon: first time I heard that version, I wasn't sure...second time, loved it...third time [motions to Jason], loved it!

Okay, the judges are in the tank for Jason tonite...Trying to slow the momentum of David Cook???

That was a fucking YouTube video. It was not American idol. And it will be no more than potentially Jason's "biggest hit".

Write it down.

8:26 PM: Next up is Kristy Lee Cook. Kristy makes the shocking(!) decision to perform a...wait for it!...COUNTRY SONG! "Anyway", by Martina McBride.

The underwhelm continues, as Kristy has trouble finding the pitch.

At least the audience loved that big note.

Randy: pitchy, but I loved that for you...
Paula: you outdid yourself...your best so far...
Simon: I thought you were very good indeed...tonite, you looked like a star...

Okay, I've obviously slipped down the rabbit hole...are the judges deliberately trying to shake up the competition this week???

8:35 PM: Next up is David Cook. David is taking on "Innocent", by Our Lady Peace.

I like David, but he's all over the place here. He can't seem to decide if tonite he's channeling Live, Dave Matthews, or Puddle of Mudd.

Uh, yeah.

Randy: I'm not sure this was one of your strongest weeks...I didn't quite get it...
Paula: ...and tonite was no exception of you being so good...

Simon cuts off Paula and her medically-induced rambling non-sequitur...

Simon: I didn't like this performance very much at all...teense weensy bit pompous...weakest performance -- not anywhere near as good as the last two weeks...

8:39 PM: Next up is Carly Smithson. Carly is taking on "The Show Must Go On" by Queen.

Carly has changed up her sartorial style a bit this week, in response to Simon's criticisms last week.

As always, Carly gives us the best "rockstar" performance of the nite.

Randy: started out good...pitchy in the middle...ended up okay...it was just okay for me...didn't quite hit the mark...
Paula: that's something I'm actually going to agree with a little bit...as always, your voice was perfect...I didn't feel the connection -- didn't feel engaged with you...
Simon: you look good...unusual choice of song...oversang it, to the point where you lost control of it towards the end...came over as an angry performance, which felt out-of-kilter with the evening...you chose the wrong song, and you might be in a bit of trouble this week...

8:48 PM: Next up is David Archuleta. David is concerned that he might have "awakened the neighbors" with his "loud" "practicing" this week.

Eww.

David is taking on "Angels", originally by Robbie Williams and covered recently by Jessica Simpson.

A Jessica Simpson song makes it to American Idol. Maybe we really are in the End Times???

David is playing the piano, and I don't mean "playing the piano", but playing the piano.

Randy: I loved the runs at the end [eww -- Ed.]...that was your hottest moment of the whole season...LOVED IT!!!
Paula: that sums it up for me...fantastic!...
Simon: best song choice of the nite...one of the best pop songs written...not your best vocal, tho...a bit nasally...I'm nit-picking, because you are going to SAIL THROUGH...

8:57 PM: Yep, we're gonna run late again tonite.

Last up tonite is Brooke White. Brooke is taking on "You've Got A Friend", written by Carole King and also famously performed by James Taylor.

Surprisingly, because it was just onstage, Brooke is NOT "playing the piano".

Oh wait -- the piano is still onstage, but someone else is playing, while Brooke is singing.

Okay, this is actually a very nice performance.

Randy: I liked that...wasn't your best performance...it was okay, a'ight...
Paula: one of my favorite songs growing up...a perfect way to close the evening...you're definitive...
Simon: it was like a pleasant walk in the park...it was nice...was it original? no was it pleasant? yes...

And...we're 5 minutes late on the upcut...the better to screw over Dancing With The Stars...

Back in a bit with an Insta-Reaction...

* * * * *

INSTA-REACTION: Tonite felt really "upside-down" for me. Some of the "better performances" -- and the "better judges' comments" -- came from some Idols who I've thought are at the bottom of the competition. And some of my "favorites" came up short tonite.

Here is my RANKING for tonite, which is not the same as my PREDICTION about who's in trouble:

1) Brooke
2) Syesha
3) Kristy Lee
{gap}
4) David A.
5) Carly
6) Jason
{gap}
7) David C.
8) Michael

I think there were lots of poor song choices tonite. Cook, Smithson & Johns, especially, I'm looking at YOU. And I think some of the weaker contestants helped themselves by choosing songs especially suited to their styles. The judges were lukewarm on Brooke's rendition of "You've Got A Friend", but I think it was probably the best performance on a mediocre nite -- and I suspect the producers agree with me, because she got the final spot. Also, kudos to Kristy Lee for continuing to embrace her inner Kellie Pickler. It paid off for the second week in a row. Finally, Syesha. I've been on her bandwagon for a while, and I think -- in spite of the judges comments -- that she acquitted herself well this week, even though she had the bad luck of going first.

Don't talk to me about Jason "I'm YouTube-ular!!!" Castro. Sorry, Dawg, but I wasn't feelin' that. It wasn't even "just a'ight" for me.

* * * * *

Okay, so I called the performances, but I haven't predicted the Bottom 3.

I think there's a better than 50-50 chance the Bottom 3 this week will be (in no particular order): Carly, David C., Michael. All had an "off" week this week, and each was particularly panned by one-or-more of the judges. As I think these three are really Top 5 material, I'm afraid this week will produce the first truly "shocking elimination" of the season. Of the three, I'd say Michael is in the most trouble.

Check in later to see whether I'm (I hope not!) right.

-- DHMBIB

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WIth the exception of having it in for David C. and being overly complimentary of Syesha, you called this one remarkably well. Kudos. Are you saving blogging from Crystal City for the final four?

Faithful Reader KG.

Kimberly M., a.k.a. KimberlyKnits said...

Dude, you were right on the money on Michael. You even had 2 of the bottom 3 right; I'd mentally penciled in Syesha for the third spot because of her incessant talkback (this is, what, the third week in a row she's done it?), and she is long overdue for an ousting.

As for Carly, I liked "The Show Must Go On". I really cannot fathom why the judges were smacking her around so hard. Do any of them realize that "The Show Must Go On" is about Freddie Mercury's last days? Yes, it's got anger to spare, but it's also got a sense of hope as well. I love the song. And she did it great justice.